Title: Legislative Representative, Climate & Energy
Reports To: Vice President of Government Affairs
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is seeking a go-getter to help lead our advocacy work around clean energy and climate change policy. We are seeking a dynamic addition to our team to help fend off the anticipated attacks in Congress and the executive branch on core environmental protections and recent historic progress on climate change, clean energy and other issues.
- Work closely with the VP of Government Affairs to craft and implement LCV’s work on federal climate and energy policy.
- Collaborate with LCV’s Policy and Lobbying team, outside coalitions, and our state league partners to block, weaken or delay Congressional or executive branch attacks on our nation’s bedrock environmental laws and recent progress.
- Advance a pro-environment agenda wherever possible, including in the states, through corporate accountability efforts, and at the national level.
- Directly lobby members of Congress and their staff, and possibly administration officials.
- Research, track and analyze environmental legislation and executive branch actions.
- Assist in the production of LCV’s nationally-recognized National Environmental Scorecard.
- Ensure the accuracy of LCV’s public materials, work with the Membership and Online
- Engagement, Communications, Field, and Chispa departments to advance our policy priorities.
- Partner with state leagues on various projects and provide timely updates on federal legislation.
- Assist with LCV’s electoral work, including work with candidates, the PAC and the Congressional Candidate Questionnaire.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work experience: Ideal candidates will have at least 3-5 years of work experience. Background working on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, or at an advocacy or political organization preferred.
Skills: Policy analysis and research, federal government relations, coalition-building, written and oral communication skills, including making public presentations. Ideally, the candidate will also have experience using social media tools, such as Facebook and Twitter. Strong interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to develop relationships with individuals representing a rich mix of race, gender, talent, experience, and background.
Capabilities: Organized and attentive to details; sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks and thrive in a fast-paced setting. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV. Able to work occasional overtime to get the job done.
Cultural Competence: Shares LCV’s commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Legislative Representative, Climate & Energy in the subject line no later than February 15, 2017, or mail to League of Conservation Voters, Attn: Human Resources, 1920 L Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace